Sunday, April 29, 2012

thirty-five

We had a marvelous time celebrating my 35th birthday this year - about 3 different celebrations, I felt very loved and spoiled.
The celebration started with a one night get-away (without kids - thanks Grandma!) to Richmond, a few days before my birthday.  We stayed at the beautiful Jefferson Hotel.
The evening started early - a 5:15 dinner reservation at the hotel restaurant (Lemaire), where we enjoyed a wonderful 3 course dinner (with perfect wine pairings).
And then came my FAVORITE part.  We took our time after dinner walking around the hotel (pictured above).  Dave had asked the concierge which areas we should check out, so we decided to take a walk.  After leisurely strolling a few blocks, we came upon an old theater and I was shocked to see Allison Krauss' name on the markee.  You see, Allison is our person  - one of our first dates was to her concert, we danced to her at our wedding.  The date next to her name read April 15th - Dave said - "April 15th, when is that?"..totally a question he would ask - he never knows which day it is.  I exclaimed, "that's TODAY!!!".  At that point it was 7:28pm, concert started at 7:30.  We agreed we had to check it out.  I started walking up to a window, and Dave said, "Oh, I think that's will call - let's go this way".  So I followed him, as he started walking into the theater.  I wasn't quite sure what he was doing, until he pulled out two tickets and said "Or we could use these".  I think I said "you're kidding me!?!" about 10 times.  Seriously amazed.
And then it got better.
We handed the lady our tickets, and she instructed us to make our way to the front.  The next lady checking tickets told us to make our way to the pit, where we would be seated.  Yes, we were in the second row, dead center.  So we sat down, and literally 30 seconds later she walked onstage.  Can't tell you how insanely giddy I was.  Best birthday surprise ever.  And the entire concert was AMAAAZing.
Another treat- they upgraded us to a suite since we were celebrating a special occasion.  This was the living room area with remnants of our delicious breakfast.  Makes me sigh just looking at it.
Later that morning we headed to Cary Street where we ducked in and out of consignment shops (yes, I scored a few deals), boutiques, and coffee shops.
 Then it was over to Marymont park we we enjoyed taking in the Italian and Japanese gardens.
It was a HOT, almost 90 degree day. 
The front of the hotel, just before we left.
Back home, these boys enjoyed some Choi play time.  Here, they were apparently making ninja soup.
The next day was my actual birthday, and the boys were excited to help me in the yard ;).  Caden did a super job wiping down our chairs.
 And we planted our first vegetable garden.  Not sure if we'll get enough sunlight to make it very prolific, but fun to try ;). 
 That night we headed to one of our favorite new pizza places (Vapianos) in Bethesda with a few friends.  Somehow, we only got pics of the kids! ;)
Dave was super about keeping the little crazies occupied while we finished eating.
And then back home for cake (baked by Grandma Kathy) before bed.

A few days later I got sneak away to Williamsburg, VA for our church's women's retreat.  Seriously, how spoiled am I?
 It was a PERFECT, 70 some degree day.  They are celebrating the 150th anniversary of the Civil War, which added to the fun and fanfare.
 We walked around, watched these go by, and found a perfect spot on the grass to sit and read (and people watch).  Sooo wonderful.
 I LOVED having time with this friend.
And then one of my favorite moments - sitting and enjoying some fabulous wine and cheese with these amazing ycf ladies.  Love em! 

And when I got home the next day, we had the O'Connell family over for lunch to keep the celebration going.  Dave blew me away.  I walked in about 30 minutes before they were supposed to be home from church, and was expecting to have to help pull things together.  The house was clean, tables set (both dining room and kitchen for adults and kids), and a cake baked!  I'm not sure how he was able to swing getting 3 kids ready for church, and the house looking that nice...but I know it was a labor of love, and I was truly impressed.
So fun to be back with my boys.
 The kids opened their own McDonalds
 Three attempts blowing one candle was pretty hilarious.

So grateful for this AMAAZING week.  Now back to doing my own laundry, wiping noses, shuttling my little men to school/soccer/church, managing tantrums and fights, building forts, dealing with the dirt and grime which covers the house of a dog and three boys, filling hungry tummies, and kissing they're precious little faces...all of which I'm incredibly grateful I get to do.

1 comment:

  1. we are thankful for you, and glad you were so celebrated!

    (they were making "ninja" soup)

    ReplyDelete