My sweet and spunky Grandma Dot went to be with Jesus on Monday, July 2nd. She was almost 95 years old, and lived an incredibly full, wonderful life. And best of all, she truly loved and embraced every moment of it. I was extremely thankful that I was able to make a very quick trip out for her funeral (without kids). It was an incredibly special and beautiful day. Here are a few details:
The program. The funeral took place in the little town (Silvana, WA) about 60 miles North of Seattle where both my parents grew up.
A few pictures were included. Love the one of her with my dear Grandpa Al, who died 21 years ago.
I was honored to read a poem she wrote, and share some of my personal reflections (I'll include them below). It was a beautiful service, honoring her life, and the God she is now experiencing in fullness.
She was laid to rest next to my Grandpa, at the church where they met and were married, overlooking the valley where 4 generations of my family have lived and made their living. This is the same church where Dave and I got engaged. Such beautiful and deep meaning. I stood there feeling so proud of where I've come from.
My brothers and I had an unexpected trip down memory lane, piling in the back of my parents car on the way to the cemetery. We were good -no hitting or fighting about where we were going to sit. Oh what 20 years can do.
And lastly, on the way out of town, mom treated us to ice cream at the Silvana Mercantile - the store where my other grandma worked for over 20 years. Truly, a day overflowing with sentiment.
You and I
by Dorothy Laura Marie Madson
Twas on a Sunday morning I remember it so well, when your mother introduced us by the church on the hill.
Then just a few weeks later in the Sons of Norway hall we chanced another meeting at the annual Gingham Ball.
I wore a pair of Beach slacks that fit me like a song and you told one of the fellows - just another girl "gone wrong".
You changed your mind completely when we met in school that fall and through our casual meetings found I wasn't bad at all.
We went one night together in the 'Chevy' to the school, I was just a little freshman and it all seemed oh so new!
It was such a Rainy evening as we come from T.O.T (a social club), and you put your arm around me as I sat close by your knee.
Before you let me go that night you pressed your lips to mine, the kiss that spoke so many words is such a short-short time.
Then later on - one warm spring night you parked the car and turned to me and said four sweet words "you are my girl". Twas April sixth in thirty three.
Each day I grew to love you more. For weeks and months and then a year we went together always to a show and Dance and to the fair.
On the night of June the second in the year of thirty four we drove until we came at last to out favorite spot in the days of yore.
You took me in your arms and said "will you marry me sweetheart?" I paused and then I whispered back, "you know I will - dear heart".
Two years have passed and all to prove how love will hold if love is true such happy thoughts of having you a husband dear to love life through.
And here is what I shared:
I have three little boys. In the midst of crazy, wonderful days, I often find myself wondering where their "spirited" personalities have come from - and have many times concluded that the have at least a BIT of Grandma Dot in them.
I feel so honored to carry forward her name. To in some small way bear the mark of a woman who loved life and the people around her fiercly. I'm also amazingly blessed to have countless memories, which are the best gifts anyone can leave behind. I think of her candy drawer, always full of candy from their trips to Mexico. Her famous cookies, which we could always find in her cookie jar. Her swivel chairs, Christmas carols around the piano (she had an amazing voice). There were countless vacations and adventures together - their 5th wheel RV was another secret world. And somehow even the ordinary times with her felt like an adventure. I remember getting in the car when I was staying with them one weekend, I think driving to the grocery store, and with a big "ooookay!', we were off. As I got older there were talks about love, loss, and the many wonderful places that this life brought her.
I will miss her laugh, the gleam in her eye, her generous hugs and kisses, the way she cupped my boys faces with her hands, her boldness and spirit of adventure, and the way she LOVED living. I can only pray and hope that my boys get to experience life like this.
So there is sadness...but a good kind of sadness. One overflowing with thankfulness for a life she loved living, and woman we are indescribably blessed to have journeyed with.
And more than anything I am thankful that she knew this life wasn't about being "good enough", but rather about trusting in a God who is. Who has loved her from the beginning of time, who died for her, so that this is not the end...but rather just the beginning. For now, as one who always seemed to be the life of the party - the REAL party has just begun.
=================================
The following is a poem that my Aunt and Uncle found in my Grandma's address book, with instructions to be read at her funeral (my Uncle shared it) ;). I love all of her underlining and exclamation points - it is all so her:







thanks for sharing this. a wonderful and sweet post.
ReplyDeleteOh, what a beautiful tribute. Thank you so much for sharing this poem and your thoughts as well, so lovely. I know Grandma Dot would have been so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteLove you SO much...can't wait to see you in a few short weeks!
Btw, the Star Wars Legos were/are a HUGE hit!! The perfect gift for T! Thank you, thank you! :)