Monday, September 2, 2013

Seattle - week ONE

Two weeks in Seattle in August - there isn't any place we'd rather be.  It was an amazing time with family and friends, full of beauty and rich conversation.  As I'm going back through these pictures, I'm realizing just how FULL it was.  Here's our journey in pictures:

Reagan National - quick donuts before boarding our plane.

Andrew took this picture - the pilot announced that we were beginning our descent, so we opened the window and were delighted to see THIS.  Our own up close view of Mt. Rainier.

My parents are amazing - they serve and spoil us in countless ways.  This basket of goodies was waiting for us beside our bed - snacks, gift cards to our favorite spots.

A first day must - Dave and I sneak away to our favorite coffee shop.  Dave has gotten to know the coffee roaster (who grew up in DC, so we enjoyed catching up with her too).

Back at Grandma and Grandpa's, it was all about soaking up their yard. 

My mom's amazing dahlias.

These two became quite the buds this year.  

The back woods became Narnia - many valiant battles were fought (and won) during our time there.

I can't tell you how happy I was to be wearing jeans :).

Lots of dinnertime shenanagens.

Wednesday night we snuck down to Elysian Brewing Co. on Capital Hill - my beer loving man has been itching to get here for several years.

Tee hee - we stuck out in our bright colors.  Mostly black and grey in this part of town ;).

We met up with a new buddy - a fellow community group member from a counseling class Dave had just finished.  They happened to be in Seattle at the same time!

Thursday was my day to catch up with two of my best girfriends and ALL of our boys!!  Tiff and her crew of three boys came and played all morning.

and joined us for lunch :).

And then Amy (who lives just down the street), came with her boys that afternoon for dinner!

Seriously precious.  And a whole lot of boy power.

Friday morning we packed up and headed over the mountains...

soaking up every second of this beautiful drive.

Quick stop for lunch.

 And then we arrived.  Crescent Bar - my family's annual summer vacation spot.  There wasn't a place I was more excited to be as a child (and teenager).  I hadn't been there in 15 years, and couldn't believe how much it had developed (beautifully and tastefully, I should add).

Once camp was set up, it was story time.

It got silly very quickly.




Post dinner ice cream at the shopping area I walked to as a kid (usually to buy candy).


Caden on the beach where we let off many 4th of July fireworks  Walking the grounds of this desert oasis with my own children was so surreal.


The beautiful canyon walls.

Walking back to the lot we stayed at during my childhood.

The golf course view to our right as we the sun settled into the hills.  And the boys each found a golf ball!  We used to hunt for them, so we could sell them (and buy candy) :).


It still felt magical.


Day 1 on the beach.

Breaking in the tube. 


Yes, there was a guy with a water jet pack.  


Uncle Chris and his boys - the cliffs we jumped off in high school/college right behind.


Grandpa Jack!

These golf carts are everywhere, and even kids get to drive them sometimes ;).  Another reason the place feels magical.  Caden was thrilled to get a ride.


Our first tent sleeping experience.  The boys weren't asleep until after 10, but it was amazing to feel the cool breeze, and see stars as you rolled over at night!



Six grandsons... 

walking over to one of the new areas...


to get coffee for this mama ;).

Aunt JA captured some amazing pics!  This apparently wasn't posed (I of course was in getting my coffee) - these boys just love their grandma.

And I LOVE these ones of Will and Grandma Kathy.

A perfect way to start our day.


Caden spent his morning on the beach making a pyramid and castle with daddy. 

Mama started on the tube with the little guys.

And got to experience a wilder ride with the older boys.  Grandpa whipped us good!

And then got a wee taste of his own medicine. =)


A fun, hot day on the Columbia River!  

Then it was time to pack up, clean up and head home.
Campground living is the BEST.  We're classy.


A quick stop at a scenic overlook on our way home.

Rooooll oooon, Columbia, roll on.  (I can't help but sing it every time we drive over it)

Driving by the wind fields - there's something so captivating about them.


Monday Dave started studying.


The rest of us ventured out the Remlinger farm.

We started with a canoe ride.

A choo choo ride for Will.

It doesn't get any better for this little man.

Driving a firetruck is pretty awesome too.


Or his own car!

Caden and Grandpa.

Why do my kids like these so much?


Mini ferris wheel = precious.

And the pumpkins were pretty great too.  Just realized we didn't get any pics of the roller coaster!

They got to ride ponies!

Fun times.

This one makes me laugh since he's afraid of bees.

My sweet friend Morgan came over with her precious little guy that afternoon/evening.  So fun to see this DC friend now settled in Seattle with her family (she even got to stay with my parents for a short bit before they found their house).


Later that night I got to soak up a few hours of uninterrupted conversation with Tiff.  Such a gift.

Tuesday morning we drove over to my hometown (Kirkland, another Seattle suburb) for a kids concert at the park/beach just down the hill from where I grew up.  A new coffee shop, Urban Coffee lounge, had recently opened across the street.  I seriously haven't stopped thinking about this cinnamon honey latte since.  Seriously the best coffee I have ever had - if it wasn't 35 minutes from my parents house, they would have gotten to know me.

We met up with Tiffany and her boys, and had nephew's T and S along while their brother had hand surgery (which went very well).  

There are many pics of me in this exact same spot as a little girl.  So fun :).

That night we met up with DC friend Kristen, at an amazing chocolate place (Dilletante Cafe) just down the street from where she now lives in Seattle.  Hours of rich, deep conversation - we probably could have been there all night.


Phew!  By the end of the first week, I realized I was so consumed with soaking up all that I love here, that I didn't realize how tired I was.  Our schedule had become unexpectedly full, so we slowed things down a bit the second week - sort of ;).

1 comment:

  1. What a fun and busy week - I get tired just looking at this! Love, Grandma Kathy

    ReplyDelete